If you are under 18
If you are under age 18, you must wait at least 6 months from the date you received your learner permit to schedule your road test.
The fee for up to two road tests for a non-commercial license is included in your $10.00 driver license application fee.
If you do not pass your first two tests, you must pay another $10.00 fee for up to two more tests. There is no refund if you do not take both tests.
For a road test for a commercial driver license (CDL) the fee for a single test is $40.00. See Get a CDL.
- a valid New York State learner permit (see a sample learner permit)
- an original, unexpired Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or a Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285)
- the ZIP Code for the test site – find test locations, directions and ZIP Codes
Finding a test location and date
You do not need to take your test in the area of the state where you live.
Tests are almost always on weekdays (only rarely do we offer them on a Saturday)
Schedule, confirm, cancel or reschedule now
To reschedule your test, you must cancel your appointment before you can search for a new date (you cannot have more than one appointment at a time).
On your test day
Make sure your test was not rescheduled or relocated
Tests can be cancelled/rescheduled or relocated because of bad weather or road construction. Before you leave for your test, check the DMV cancellations, closings and delays webpage or call 1-518-402-2100.
Be on time
Try to arrive up to 30 minutes before the time of your test. If you are late, the license examiner may need to reschedule.
- your photo learner permit
- glasses or contacts, if your permit indicates you need corrective lenses
- your original Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), copies are not acceptable
- if you are under 18, a Certification of Supervised Driving (PDF) (MV-262) completed by your parent or guardian – this must be given to the license examiner each time you take a road test
- a driver age 21 or older who has a license valid to operate the test vehicle
- a vehicle to drive during the test that has a valid registration and inspection, operates properly and is in clean condition
For a motorcycle test, you also need
- a properly operating, registered and inspected motorcycle
- a properly operating, registered and inspected motor vehicle and a driver with a valid driver license to transport the license examiner during your road test
After you pass your test
- our license examiner will give you an interim license that allows you to drive. Keep the interim license with your photo learner permit
- you will receive your photo driver license in the mail, in about 2 weeks
- if you are under age 18 and have a Class DJ, MJ or DJMJ driver license, you must obey the restrictions for junior drivers (see Graduated Driver License (GDL) Law and restrictions on drivers under age 18)
If you fail your test
Don’t worry. If you fail a non-commercial license road test, your learner permit remains valid until the expiration date. If your learner permit expires before your next road test, you must get a new learner permit. See Get a learner permit.
You can schedule another road test, but you must pay additional fees if you failed your first two road tests. You will need to wait at least one day to take the test again.